Wednesday, June 12, 2013

WHADDA WE EATIN' WEDNESDAY! Recipe for Easy Lasagna Soup!

Hey all!

Well, it's Wednesday!  I can't believe how quickly this month is flying!   I can't believe we're pretty much halfway through the year!!!  

My kids have been at summer camp this week, (which is like a nice little summer vacation for a homeschool mama!  haha) which has prompted me to make some yummy meals for when they get home hungry from their busy, fun days!

Last night, I decided to make another family favorite that we tried at a Sunday Family Dinner a few months ago, and it went over very well.   It's called LASAGNA SOUP...and BOY, it sure was yummy!!!

I found a recipe for Lasagna Soup on Pinterest, but it was a little too complicated for me, so I SIMPLIFIED...and it still turned out great!!!   Here is the original recipe that I found, though, if you have the extra time.   =D

Here's what I used...

 1 lb. ground beef (or ground turkey)
 

1 32 oz. container chicken broth (I actually used 4 cups of water and 4 bullion cubes...it's cheaper and we like the flavor better than regular chicken broth) 
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
 

1/2 tsp. salt  (you don't really need this if you're using the bullion and water)
 

1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
 

6 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces

Garlic powder, Minced Onion and Italian seasoning to taste  
(I probably used 2 tbsp. garlic powder, 3 tbsp. minced onion, and 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning, but I can't be sure)




 

Brown your ground beef with the garlic powder, minced onion and Italian seasoning in some olive oil.

Then add the chicken broth, salt, cayenne pepper and crushed tomatoes and stir.  Bring it to a boil and then turn the heat down and let it simmer for 20 minutes.  

After that, you turn the heat back up and get your soup boiling again...then add your 6 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces.

Let that cook for another 10-15 minutes.



If the soup is looking too thin (it should thicken after you put the lasagna noodles in there to cook.)  you can add a mixture of 1tbsp cornstarch and 1tbsp water, and that will thicken it up a bit for you.   I did need to use this to make mine a little thicker, although I'm sure it would have been fine without it. 
 


That's it....serve it up, add some parmesean and/or mozzarella cheese, get out some garlic bread and enjoy!!

This was a big hit with my family.  Both my son and daughter loved it, and so did my husband.  This fed a hungry family of 4, and allowed us to have seconds as well.   It's a neat recipe and not too tough to make!

Thanks again for joining me for another WHADDA WE EATIN' WEDNESDAY!   Hope to see you again soon!


 This post is being added to...


On the Menu Monday

1 comment:

  1. My family loves lasagna, but we've never had it in soup form. This would be great to make in the crock pot one night for dinner. Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete